This weekend as expected was a totally busy one. Planned to make something new but MK suggested to stick onto the usuals.So we just went with spicy gravies, side dishes and had cool fun. Asusal Monday was hectic with all the catching up and loads of mails to answer so thought of having pizza dinner. But shweets was not keeping well so decided to make some home food. Suddenly got reminded of the baby potatoes I bought this weekend and tried out the flavorful Achari Aloo.
Achari Aloo is a spicy, tangy potato dry dish with lot of flavors. I had planned to make this dish for a long time and searched for a good homey recipe. It tasted so good and everyone at home loved it with Onion and Chili paratha. I was able to feel the taste of all the different pickle spices and the tanginess due to lemon juice in the dish. Totally our type of dish. Do not get dizzy about the list of the ingredients they all are readily available in Indian Stores or International Markets. It truly tasted awesome. You got to try this for sure !!
Preparation Time - 5 minutes
Cooking Time - 20 minutes
Serves - 4
Recipe adapted from here
Red Potatoes - 12 no
Onion - 1 no
Tomato - 2 no
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1/2 tsp
Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Amchur - 1/2 tsp
Mustard - 1/2 tsp
Fennel Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds - 1/8 tsp
Nigella Seeds - 1/8 tsp
Ajwain - 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida - a pinch
Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
Salt for taste
Oil - 2 tsp
- Boil, peel and cube the potatoes into medium size pieces.
- Finely chop onion and tomatoes.
- Heat oil, add mustard, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, ajwain seeds, nigella seeds, fenugreek seeds, asafoetida in medium flame.
- Add the onions and saute until it turns translucent.
- Add in tomatoes, turmeric powder, salt and mix well and cook until oil separates.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and cook until raw smell is gone.
- Add the potatoes and cook for about 6 - 7 minutes.
- Add the coriander powder, garam masala, amchur, chilly powder and mix well.
- Sprinkle some water and let the mixture get cooked for additional 5 minutes.
- Once it is done add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and Serve hot.
- If you get baby potatoes you need not cut them. Just use as whole potatoes.
- Authentic Achari Aloo calls for deep frying. I added only 2 tsp of oil. Cook as per your choice.