Pav Bhaji is one of the recipe which I have been wanting to make for a long time. I was planning to make the pav buns from scratch and kept postponing the thought. It will take a considerable amount of time to make the buns so was waiting for the perfect day. Last week during the visit to a local organic store, I spotted some freshly baked dinner rolls and they looked like the perfect ones. Shweets loves Pav Bhaji and has been pestering me to make it for a long time so no more excuses. I had heard many versions of it and I made it the way we would like it.
Pav Bhaji is one of most popular street food from Northern India. Pav or the buns are toasted with butter and served with a vegetable based gravy. The heat from the spices, sour taste from lime and sweetness from the butter are a perfect combination. It is usually tagged as an appetizer but I would say it makes you feel a lot full and you would definitely want to skip dinner. It is one dish you could without second thoughts add to your party menu and it will be a winner !
Cooking Time - 10 - 15 minutes
Serves - 4 - 6 people
Ingredients for Bhaji
Potatoes - 2 no
Carrots - 2 no
Green Beans - 15 no
Cauliflower florets - 1 cup
Onion - 1 no
Tomatoes - 2 no
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
Green Bell Pepper - 1 no
Green Peas - 1/4 cup
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Chilly Powder - 1 - 1 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder - 3/4 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/4 tsp
Pav Bhaji Masala - 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 2 tsp
Butter - 2 tbsp
Coriander Leaves - for garnish
Ingredients needed while serving
Pav Buns/Dinner Rolls - 12 - 18 no
Butter - for toasting the rolls
Finely Chopped Onion - 1/2 cup
Lime - 2 no
Coriander Leaves - for garnish
- Wash, peel and cut the potatoes and carrots into medium size pieces.
- Cut the green beans into medium size pieces.
- Chop the onion, green pepper and tomatoes into small pieces.
- To a pressure cooker add potatoes, carrots, green beans, cauliflower, turmeric powder, little salt, 1 cup of water and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the pressure cooker contents to cool down and mash it with masher.
- In a pan add oil and add cumin and allow it to splutter.
- Add the chopped onion and saute until it turns golden brown.
- Next add the ginger garlic paste and cook in medium flame until raw smell goes away.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until it turns mushy.
- Add the chopped green pepper and green peas.
- Add chilly powder, coriander powder, garam masala and cook until raw smell goes away.
- At this stage add the Pav bhaji masala and cook for additional 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the 2 tbsp of butter and mix well.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Heat a flat pan and add butter. Slit the bun/dinner rolls in middle and toast both sides of the bun until it turns golden brown.
- Place the buns on a serving plate. Add a ladle of the bhaji to the side.
- Add finely chopped onion and coriander leaves on top of the bhaji.
- Sprinkle lime juice on top.
- Serve Hot.
- You can use vegetables of your choice, but potatoes are the main ingredient to create the base.
- Do not burn the spice powders at any stage.
- Adjust the spice levels according to your taste.
- You can use prepare the bhaji ahead of time and toast the buns and serve when needed.
- Adding raw onion, coriander leaves and lime juice enhances the taste so do not skip it while serving.