Days are as usual kids are busy at school and I'm busy with work. On the cooking front we are staying below average. We did not make anything new and stuck to the normal stuff. Coming to recipe I don't know how many people like bitter gourd. I don't love it but like it a lot. If cooked in the proper way you will love it too. It is also important to buy good quality and less bitter ones. The dark green bitter gourds are very bitter. So look out for light green and firm ones. I do not prefer the deep fried version due to health reasons. But this one is very close in taste.
Bitter Gourd roast is one of my favorite side dish. We had it with puli kuzhambu and the combination is too good. It also goes well with bland sambar or even rasam. You have to be careful while adding powders and care not to burn them. Also to get that blackened effect increase the heat to high and saute continuously. It enhances the taste and removes the bitter taste. I prefer to cook small quantities as it will take time to slowly cook the vegetable.If you are big fan of bitter gourd or if you are the opposite you got to try this recipe. Either you will love it more or start liking it.
Preparation Time - 10 minutes
Cooking Time - 10 minutes
Serves - 2 - 4
Bitter Gourd - 4 - 5 no
Onion - 1 no
Chilly Powder - 1 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Mustard - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - as per taste
- Wash and slice the bitter gourd into thin circles.
- Chop the onion lengthwise.
- Heat oil in a kadai/wok.
- Add the mustard and allow it to splutter.
- Add the chopped onions and saute for a few minuites.
- Next add the chilly powder, turmeric powder in low flame. Do not allow the powders to get burnt.
- Next add the sliced bitter gourd and salt. Mix well until the powders are coated onto the bitter gourd.
- In medium flame cook the bitter gourd until it is fully cooked.
- When it is fully cooked, increase the heat and cook in high flame to get that blackened effect.
- Serve hot as side dish with rice.
- Do not allow the chilly and turmeric powders to get burnt. Reduce the flame before adding the powders.
- Adjust the chilly powder according to your desired spice level.
- Increasing the heat in the end gives that blackened effect. Skip step if you do not want it.