Hope everyone had a great Valentine's Day and a wonderful weekend. We do not as such celebrate valentine's day but looking at all the celebrations around us was great fun. Me and MK stay together 24/7. yes I'm serious we work together, attend same meetings, go to lunch together and even share the same cubicle. So for us having a special day to show our love is definitely not needed. Just for the sake of the blog I wanted to make something heart shaped and post it on Valentine's. A cake, cookie or something. So after days and days of thinking I actually did not make anything due to time constraints. Last two weeks has been hectic and I did not have the time to write a post or bloghop. So after a long break here I'm with a healthy and easy one pot meal.
Cooking for kids lunch box is a big task. It cannot be spicy, no masala smell, it cannot turn dry and what not. Shweets gives me lot of orders and is very specific about what I send her in the lunch box. Beetroot Rice is one thing she loves. It's colorful, not spicy so it suits perfectly. Even her friends comment that it is special rice. It is easy to make and comes in handy for those busy mornings. You can even grate the beetroot in the night and store it in a ziploc so you can save all the time. Try this wonderful rice and surprise your princess !!
Preparation Time - 10 minutes
Cooking Time - 10 minutes
Serves - 2 - 4
Basmati Rice - 1 cup
Onion - 1 no
Beetroot - 2 no (medium size)
Green Chilly - 2 no
Mint Leaves - 1 fistful (optional)
Cinnamon - 2 sticks
Cardamom - 2 no
Fennel Seeds - 1 tsp
Oil - 2 tsp
Salt as needed
- Wash and grate the beetroot.
- Soak the basmati rice for about 15 minutes.
- Julienne(cut into thin long strips)the onion and slit the green chillies.
- In a pressure cooker heat 2 tsps oil. Add the cinnamon sticks, cardamom and fennel seeds in medium flame.
- Next Add the onions, mint leaves, green chillies and saute well until raw smell of the beetroot goes away. Add required salt.
- Add 2 cups of water and allow it to boil.
- When the water starts to boil add the soaked rice.
- Close the lid and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Once the pressure releases using a fork fluff the rice and serve hot.
- You can serve the beetroot rice with raitha, chips, pappad.
- Using mint leaves is optional.
- You can also replace beetroot with carrots.