I'm not sure whether I have told enough about my love for mangoes. I have so many sweet memories with mangoes. All people who know me as a kid would talk about mangoes when they see me now. Now things have changed and I'm not a such a big fan of mangoes or should I say I do not get the same quality of mangoes I used to get in India. Coming to pickles I only like mango pickles. So when I find some good raw mangoes in the market I definitely pick one or two to prepare yummy pickles.
Mango Pickle can be made in so many ways. I have tasted so many varieties but I always love the instant one. When I'm planning for a South Indian meal type lunch then I make sure I include this pickle as a side. It goes so well with the seasoned curd rice. When I have some time I normally allow the mangoes to sit in the chilly powder mixture for about 30 minutes before seasoning it. But sometimes I do not have the time just get everything done in 10 minutes.If you are a mango lover you have to try for this sure. It just takes 10 minutes.
Preparation Time - 5 - 7 minutes
Cooking Time - 2 minutes
Serves - 4
Unripe Mango (large) - 1 no
Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Mustard - 1/2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Salt - as per taste
Mustard - 1 tsp
Red Chilly - 2 no
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Oil - 1 tsp
- Wash and pat dry the mango. Cut into bite size small pieces.
- Dry roast the 1/2 tsp mustard, fenugreek seeds in medium flame for a minute and allow it cool down. Grind it to a coarse powder.
- In a dry vessel add the chopped mango, chilly powder, turmeric powder, required salt, mustard fenugreek powder and mix well.
- If you have the time let the mango mixture sit for about 15 - 30 minutes.
- If you need the pickle instantly then skip the previous step.
- Heat oil add the mustard mentioned under seasoning, when the mustard splutters reduce the flame and add the curry leaves and red chilly.
- Next add the mango mixture and saute well so that the oil is coated onto the mango pieces.
- Saute about a minute remove from stove. Do not cook more than a minute the mango pieces has to be crunchy.
- Store is clean, dry airtight container and serve as side dish with your favorite foods.
- Do not allow the seasoning to be browned else the flavor will not be good.
- Adjust the spice level according to your taste.
- After adding the mangoes cook only for a minute or so. If you over cook the mango will be cooked.
- Use only a clean and dry spoon in the pickle else the pickle will be spoiled.