Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. Christmas is very special to us after coming to the US. We start the celebration during Thanksgiving by decorating our Christmas tree. Then we plan for the gifts we are going to share this year, cookies we are going to make and so on. This year was super special as we moved close to family. We had everyone at our place played games, cooked food, exchanged gifts and of course we enjoyed the fruit cake I had made for this Christmas. Fruit Cake or Plum Cake as we call it in India is a cake that is meant not only for Christmas it suits for any occasion.
This version of the fruit cake needs no soaking of the dry fruits or it has no alcohol, good news isn't it. It is perfect for the holiday times and especially kids will love it. It is a very simple and easy to make cake that needs no big planning. It is the best Christmas Cake for beginners and busy bees who have no time to soak the fruits well ahead of time. When you read the recipe you will be surprised to see it takes only 10 minutes or so to prepare the cake batter and there is no need for any special tools. What are you waiting for roll up your sleeves and bake this fruit cake and treat yourself with one of the best tasting cakes.
Preparation Time - 5 minutes
Cooking Time - 5 minutes
Baking Time - 50 - 60 minutes
Yields - One 9" X 2" round cake or One 9"X5"X3" Loaf
Recipe adapted from here
All Purpose Flour - 1 1/2 cups
Baking Soda - 1 tsp
Light Brown Sugar - 1 cup firmly packed
Black Raisins - 3/4 cup
Golden Raisins - 3/4 cup
Chopped Dates - 3/4 cup
Chopped Mixed Nuts - 3/4 cup (Almonds, Cashews, Walnuts)
Ground Ginger Powder - 1 tsp
Cinnamon Powder - 1 tsp
Nutmeg Powder - 1/4 tsp
Clove Powder - 1/4 tsp
Unsalted Butter - 1/4 cup (4 tbsp)
Egg - 2 no
Vanilla Extract - 1 tsp
- Prepare cake pan by lining parchment paper in the bottom and spraying vegetable oil.
- Dice the butter into small pieces and keep aside.
- Lightly beat the eggs and keep aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 F when the boiled fruit mixture is cooling down.
- In a large saucepan add the light brown sugar, diced butter, black raisins, golden raisins, chopped dates, chopped nuts, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, nutmeg powder, clove powder and boil in medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Allow the fruit mixture to cool down.
- Mix the flour and baking soda and keep aside.
- To the lukewarm fruit mixture and the lightly beaten eggs and mix well using a spatula.
- Next add the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Slowly add the flour mixture and mix everything until the flour is fully incorporated.
- Transfer the batter to the already prepared pan and bake for 50 - 60 minutes.
- When a tooth pick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean the cake can be removed from oven.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pans for about 10 minutes.
- Remove cake from pan and allow it cool completely.
- You can serve the cake immediately or wrap the cake in aluminium foil leave it overnight for best tasting cake.
- You can use dry fruits and nuts of your choice. I made 2 cakes one with the above ingredients and another one with black and golden raisins, dried cherries, dried cranberries etc., Make sure you have 3 cups of fruits and nuts together.
- If you are baking a 9X2 inch round cake check your cake after 45 minutes or so. My round cake took 50 minutes and the loaf took 60 minutes.
- You can either serve the cake immediately after making or allow it to rest overnight to get the best tasting cake.
- This cake can be made well ahead of time and served during Christmas time. This cake can also be frozen.
- Traditional Fruit Cakes are needs soaking of the dry fruits well ahead and also uses alcohol. This recipe needs no soaking or has no alcohol.