Vegetable Stew is one of my favorite dish with Idiyappam or Appam. My family prefers sugar and coconut with Idiyappam and coconut milk with Appam so I did not get a chance to try my favorite side dish. I was also lazy to do something just for myself. I always liked kerela style gravies with loads of coconut milk. When I brought a crate of coconut milk recently, I thought I have to make this atleast one time to relish and at the same time to post it here. The vegetables cooked in coconut milk with a little spice gives the wonderful taste for the gravy.
For the Vegetable Stew you can use fresh coconut milk or canned coconut milk. I used the canned coconut milk, just don't shake the tin collect the top layers for the thick coconut milk and then mix well and use the remaining for the thin coconut milk. This gravy tastes when consumed the same day. If try to refrigerate and then reheat it loses it's original taste. Also this goes best with only Appam and Idiyappam. Do try this and let me know how you like it.
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4
Yellow/White Onion - 2 medium size
Carrot - 2 no
Beans - 6 - 10 no
Potato - 1 no
Cauliflower - 3 - 4 small florets
Green Peas - 1/2 cup
Green Chilly - 3 no
Pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
Thin Coconut milk - 1 1/4 cups
Thick Coconut Milk - 3/4 cup
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Cardamom - 2 - 3 no
Bay leaves - 3 no
Cinnamon - 2 small pieces
Salt for taste
Oil - 2 tsp
- Cut the onions lengthwise(julienne).
- Wash and cut the carrots, beans, potato, green chilly into medium size pieces.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a kadai/wok, add the cinnamon, cardamom and bay leaves in medium flame.
- Next add the onions, 1 sprig curry leaves, green chilly and salt. Saute until onion turns translucent.
- Add the chopped vegetables, mix so that the oil is coated onto the vegetables.
- Next add the pepper powder and saute the vegetables for a few minutes.
- Keep the flame in medium and add the thin coconut milk and allow the vegetables to cook in the coconut milk.
- Once the vegetables are 3/4th cooked reduce the flame to low and add the thick coconut milk.
- Cook for additional 5 minutes. Garnish with curry leaves.
- Serve hot with Appam and Idiyappam etc.,
- You can skip any of the vegetables if you do not have it. But try to use the carrots, potatoes and peas.
- For the coconut milk, I used 1 can of store product coconut milk. Do not shake the tin, open and collect the 3/4 cup of thick coconut milk. Then mix well and collect the thin coconut milk.
- Add little extra water as per your required consistency if needed.
- After adding the thick coconut milk do not boil the gravy, it will spoil the taste of the gravy.