Hope everyone had a fun filled Diwali. After enjoying the sweets and savories for a week long it is time to relax and get a break. I know most of you would be super tired and would want to make something simple and easy. Variety rice items come handy on lazy days. It is also a wonderful lunch box recipe which can be prepared ahead of time. When I think about lemon rice I was remember one of my friend's preparation. She used to make the best tasting lemon rice. MK always liked it. I tried to prepare it in the same way by trial and error and finally got the same taste. From then I always prepare it the same way to get that sour tasting yummy Lemon Rice.
Lemon Rice is usually prepared when we want to quickly prepare something quick. It tastes so good with some appalam or some spicy dry curry. We always have it with potato curry and pickle. The quality of the lemon and the amount of lemon juice makes the magic. You have to adjust according to your taste buds. Some of them add the lemon juice to the rice or add it when the seasoning cools down. I always add it at once the seasoning is done. It gives the great taste. You got to try this !!
Preparation Time - 10 minutes
Cooking Time - Time to Cook Plain Rice + 5 minutes
Serves - 4
Lemon - 1 large size
Basmati Rice/Long Grain Rice - 1 cup
Mustard - 1 tsp
Urad Dal(whole, white) - 1 tbsp
Channa Dal - 1 tbsp
Dry Red Chilly - 4 - 5 no
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - as per taste
- Cook the 1 cup rice with 1 1/2 cup of water.
- When you cook add 2 - 3 drops of cooking oil so that the rice does not become sticky.
- Cool down the rice and fluff with a fork.
- Roll the lemon with your palm for a minute and extract the juice from the lemon.
- Place all the required ingredients measured and ready before you turn on the stove.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add the mustard when oil is hot, when mustard splutters, reduce the flame add the urad dal, followed by the channa dal and fry until golden brown.
- Next add the red chilly, turmeric powder, curry leaves, and roast in medium flame.
- Now add the salt, switch off the flame and immediately add the lemon juice mix the contents well.
- Add the lemon mixture to the cooked rice. Mix everything well until the rice gains the yellow color with a fork.
- Serve Hot with pappad or any spicy curry.
- There are other ways to make this rice, like you can add the lemon juice to the rice and then transfer the seasoning. But to me the method I have mentioned yields the best results and gives that sour taste of the lemon.
- Adjust the lemon juice level according to you taste. We like our lemon rice sour.
- Do not allow the temper items to be over roasted, it spoils the taste of the rice.
- Adding 2 - 3 drops oil while cooking rice makes the rice cook perfect for dry rice items.