It is the time of the year when you sweets everywhere. Not only in India, even in the US all Indian Stores and even the American chains are selling all kind of Indian sweets. It was fun explaining the others about our sweets. When they see the calories per piece they go for a big ahhh. This year I had decided to make many sweets so that kids could enjoy eating them. One of them in my list was Roasted Gram Ladoo. This is a simple yet mouth watering recipe. I'm not a big fan of sweets but somehow like these kind of flour based ladoos.
Roasted Gram Ladoo hardly takes 20 minutes or so to prepare. I have seen some recipes with lots of ghee but I prefer to have the ladoo on the dry side. We do not like the Ladoo to be glossy with lots of ghee. The Ladoo tasted even better the second day when all the flavors were infused. The roasting of the pottukadalai brings in a nice nutty flavor to the ladoo. Make sure you include this quick and easy ladoo recipe in your list sweets for this Diwali and give your family the best and tasty Diwali !.
Preparation Time - 10 minutes
Cooking Time - 5 minutes
Yields - 12 - 15 ladoo
Pottukadalai/Roasted Gram - 1 cup
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Ghee - 5 - 6 tbsp
Cashew - 10 - 15 no
Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
- Dry roast the pottukadalai/roasted gram for 3 - 4 minutes and keep aside.
- Grind the pottukadalai/roasted gram into a fine powder.
- Powder the sugar in a mixer until it turns into a very fine powder.
- Fry the cashew in 1/2 tsp ghee until it turns golden brown.
- Melt the remaining ghee.
- In a medium size bowl add the pottukadalai/roasted gram flour, sugar, cardamom powder and cashew nuts. Reserve few pieces to place on top of ladoo if you prefer.
- Slowly add the melted ghee to the flour mixture and mix everything together.
- Apply very little ghee onto to your hands and shape the mixture into small balls. I got about 14 ladoos.
- Place a cashew on top when you are making the balls if you have reserved them.
- Quick and Easy Maaladoo is ready to be served.
- You can keep the ladoo in room temperature for about 3 - 4 days.
- The sugar level was perfect for us. If you prefer more sweetness increase the sugar level.
- If you want your ladoo to be glossy then add slightly more melted ghee to the mixture.