I think I have talked a lot about making lunch for kids. It is really a stressful job. You need to be extra cautious when you make them. It has to be healthy, kids should like it and it should look good and especially no masala. With all that being said, one can imagine how difficult is a mother's job. In the US normally we pack sandwiches, burgers, salad, fruits for kids lunch or better order from the school. Kids prefer that. But there are sometimes when they get bored of the breads and ask for something different. I normally prepare fried rice with french fries or something like that but this time I tried a recipe that my kid loved and came back with an empty tiffin box.
Idly or Rice cakes can be made in the night and left in the fridge. You can also chop all the vegetables in night. This saves a lot of your morning time. Just takes 5 minutes to saute things together. As it is colorful and different kids will surely love it. I normally do not add turmeric powder in the dishes I prepare for school as it gives a masala smell. Instead of adding chilly powder you can also add green chilly but remember to remove it before packing the lunch. If you need the recipe on how to make Idly, please refer to my earlier post How to make Idly. Do try and let me know how you liked it !!
Preparation Time - 5 - 8 minutes
Cooking Time - 5 - 7 minutes
Serves - 2
Idly - 3 - 4 no
Onion - 1 small
Carrot - 1 no (medium size)
Green Beans - 5 - 6 no
Green Peas - 1/4 cup
Mustard - 1/2 tsp
Urad Dhal - 1/2 tsp
Chilly Powder - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - 4 or 5 no
Oil - 1 tsp
Salt as needed
- Wash and chop the carrot, green beans and onions into fine pieces.
- Cut the Idlies into bite size pieces.
- Heat oil and add the mustard and allow it to splutter.
- Next add the onions, curry leaves, saute until onion is slightly cooked.
- Add the chopped carrots, green beans, green peas and saute well.
- Add required salt, chilly powder.
- When the vegetables are 1/2 cooked add the Idly pieces.
- Saute everything together in medium flame for about 2 - 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a hot pack and wait for an empty lunch box.
- You can use vegetables of your choice but the ones mentioned are the best suited.
- Don't cook the vegetables too soft. It has to be slightly crunchy.
- You can add turmeric powder if you wish. I have avoided as my kid does not prefer that.