We are big peanut fans. When I see large bags of peanuts in the fresh market I just get too excited. Peanuts always reminds me of childhood. My dad comes from a place where peanuts were grown in abundance and he used to enjoyed them as a child and passed on the legacy to us. All of us at home except my Mom loved raw peanuts and would eat them endlessly and even skip meals. My Mom used to get irritated by the sound of breaking raw peanuts and would always say to my dad that this should last be the last time you people buy this. She never touched even one. For some people eating raw peanuts gives stomach problems but not for us as we are used to it from childhood. After I got married eating raw peanuts has reduced as MK prefers to boil them and make some lemony salad.
In Chennai, normally you could see this kind of salad sold in the beach in small paper cones. We make this often in the summer when we get the raw peanuts. We just make this salad and have it the evening, we will feel full and just have some yogurt for dinner. When I make it for the kids I just skip the green chilly and they love it. You can get creative and make your own your additions. Adding Ompodi is one good choice, it will give a crunchy texture to the salad. Adding chaat masala is a pure personal choice. Pick up a bag of raw peanuts when you are in the market next time and try this simple and yummy salad.
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 20 minutes
Serves : 4
Raw peanuts with shell - 4 cups
Yellow Onion - 1 no
Tomato - 1 no
Green Chilly - 2 no
Carrot - 1 no
Lemon Juice - 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves - handful
Salt for taste
Chaat Masala - 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Finely chop the onion, tomato, green chilly and coriander leaves.
- Grate the carrot.
- Wash the peanuts thoroughly to remove mud and other dusts.
- Add the washed peanuts along with shells to a big vessel, add required salt and boil for about 20 minutes or until the peanuts are cooked enough.
- Once the peanuts are cooked and slightly cooled, remove the shells and collect the peanuts in a medium sized bowl. It will yield about 1 1/2 - 2 cups.
- To the peanuts add the chopped onion, tomato, green chilly, coriander leaves, grated carrot and mix well.
- Once you are ready to serve add the lemon juice, chaat masala if using and mix well.
- Serve as a snack.
- Adjust the green chilly and lemon juice according to your taste.
- If you do not get yellow onion you can use red onion but it will have stronger taste.
- You can also mix little om podi to give a crunchy texture to the salad.