The kids are back to school/daycare after Easter break! Am I excited? Oh definitely yes. The main reason being Jake my 20 month old son has become extremely naughty and I become easily exhausted managing hinm. We were three girls in my place and we used to play calm and quite atleast my mom would not complain that much. My daughter used to play to herself and never disturbed any items. With the son around we are always on the move trying to safeguard the things. I can make him sit in one place with the help of Mickey Mouse, he loves the shows and enjoys it to the core. He also loves snacking and I try to give him healthy snacks as much as possible. Ellu/Sesame seeds are rich in protein.
Ell Urundai is a sweet that is mainly prepared for Ganesh Chathurti. It is has a wonderful combination of the nutty flavor from the sesame seeds and sweetness from the jaggery. It is one of the most quickest sweet that can be prepared in no time. It hardly takes 10 minutes to prepare the sweet. It can be stored at room temperature for about 2 weeks and even more than that. There is also another method to make this sweet which I will be posting soon, You can make this sweet with both the white and black sesame seeds. I love these kind of jaggery based sweets and it is worth trying.
Ellu/Sesame Seeds - 1 cup
Jaggery - 1/2 cup
Powdered Cardamom - 1 pinch
- Wash and dry the mixer jar and keep it ready.
- Grate the jaggery and keep aside.
- In a heavy bottomed kadai dry roast the sesame seeds in medium flame until it turns slightly brown. It will take about 4 -5 minutes.
- Allow it to cool down.
- Add the roasted sesame seeds, grated jaggery, cardamom powder and grind the contents they become slightly sticky. It will take 2 - 3 minutes.
- Lightly grease your hands with ghee (optional) and start to make small balls out the ground mixture.
- Store in a airtight container.
- I have used white sesame seeds. You also use black sesame seeds.
- If you prefer sweeter laddus you can increase the jaggery to 3/4 cup.
- There is no need to add any liquid. The oil the sesame seeds release will be sufficient to bind them into balls.
- I kept the ellu urundai's in airtight containers for about 2 weeks at room temperature.