Wishing all my readers and friends a "Happy Pongal". Pongal is a South Indian festival celebrated in the 3rd week January which is the start of the first Tamil Month "Thai". We celebrate this festival to thank the Sun god for giving us a good harvest. It is normally celebrated for 4 days. First day being "Bhogi" where the houses are cleaned and the unwanted items are burnt in the evening. Second day is the main celebration where "Pongal" is made with the first grain and offered to the Sun god. Third day is "Maatu Pongal" and the fourth day being Kaanum Pongal.
Today I have shared Kalkandu Pongal which is a famous type of Pongal prepared on this day and offered to god.The wonderful taste of Kalkandu/Sugar Candy and ghee gives a unique flavor to the dish. The taste of using normal sugar is totally different. Do try this wonderful dish on the auspicious day of Pongal and let me know how it turned out !!
Preparation Time : 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Serves : 4
Raw Rice - 1/2 cup
Moong Dal - 2 tbsp
Kalkandu - 3/4 cup
Milk - 1 cup
Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - 1 pinch
Ghee - 2 tbsps
Cashews - 10 no
Raisins - 8 no
- Dry roast the Moong dal in medium high heat until aroma comes out.
- Fry the cashews and raisins in 1 tsp ghee and keep aside.
- Wash and cook the rice, roasted dal and pinch of salt together with 1 tsp ghee. For 1/2 cup rice add 1/2 milk and 1 1/2 cups water and cook for about 3 whistles.
- Once pressure is released from the cooker, add the remaining 1/2 cup milk and smash the rice and dal mixture with a laddle.
- Next add the kalkandu ,remaining ghee and cook in medium low flame for about 2 minutes. Stir Continuously, the kalkandu will melt within this time.
- Mix all the contents well, add the ground cardamom powder, fried cashews and raisins and cook in medium low heat for about 1 minute. Serve Hot.
- Make sure you do not burn the contents always cook in medium low.
- It tastes best when it is served as soon it is made.