Happy Krishna Jayanthi to all of you !! Still not decided on what I'm going to prepare. Today's recipe is from the famous chettinad cuisine which is one of my favorite cuisine. When I think of some spicy non vegetarian dish or a simple rice based tiffin, first chettinad items comes to my mind. Variety of spices used and most importantly freshly ground masala brings all of the unique flavors. Kuzhi paniyaram is one of my favorite tiffin item. Normally we can prepare the kuzhi paniyaram with the left over dosa batter, but the traditional kuzhi paniyaram is prepared in a different way. My Mom learnt the traditional way from her friend who was from the chettinad side. It comes out perfect every time.
Nowadays we get the non stick kuzhi paniyaram kallu in India even in the US online stores. So we can use less oil and make some authentic breakfast or dinner item. The best combo for this is the tomato chutney the one you see in the pictures which I will be sharing very soon. When you are hunting for a good breakfast, dinner recipe and are bored of the usual idly and dosa, you have got to try this Kuzhi Paniyaram.
Soaking time - 5 hours
Grinding time - 30 minutes
Fermenting time - Overnight
Cooking Time - 20 minutes
Serves - 6
Ingredients for batter
Raw rice (pacharisi) - 1 cup
Idly Rice - 1 cup
Urad dal (Uluntham paruppu) - 1/4 cup
Fenugreek seeds (Venthayam) - 1 tbsp
Salt as needed
Ingredients for kuzhi paniyaram
Onion - 1 no
Mustard - 2 tsp
Channa Dal (Kadala Paruppu) - 1 tbsp
Urad dal(Uluntham paruppu)- 1 tbsp
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Green Chillies - 2 no
Grated coconut - 3 tbsp
Oil - 2 tsps
- Soak the raw rice and idly rice together, and fenugreek seeds separately for around 5 hours. Soak the urad dal for around 1 hour.
- Grind the urad dal and fenugreek seeds together in a wet grinder or your blender until smooth.
- Collect the ground batter in a big bowl.
- Grind the soaked rice separately and add it to the already ground urad dal batter, add required salt and mix well.
- Allow the batter to ferment in room temperature for 10 - 12 hours or overnight.
- Once the batter is fermented, mix well and refrigerate until you need to make the kuzhi paniyaram.
- Finely chop the onions, green chillies and curry leaves.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds.When the mustard splutters reduce flame and add the channa dal, urad dal and saute well until it turns golden brown.
- Next add the chopped onion, followed by the green chillies, curry leaves and grated coconut. Saute for about 2 - 3 minutes.
- Transfer the contents to the ground batter and mix well.
- Heat the kuzhipaniyaram kallu, add 2 or 3 drops of oil in each hole.
- Pour the batter into the holes filling upto 3/4 th of the hole.
- Cook in medium flame in closed state until the top turns golden brown.
- Add 2 or 3 more drops of oil and flip the paniyaram to the other side and cook until it turns golden brown.
- Serve Hot with chutney of your choice.
- Grinding the batter using wet grinder always gives better results. But grinding using blender/mixie works well too.
- You can refrigerate the batter for about a week.
- Do not cook in high flame, which will turn the paniyaram brown very fast leaving the inside uncooked.