One relaxed afternoon after a hectic month this is what I was longing for. We see all signs of summer creeping out. Schools are closed and kids are ready for their summer camps. They are all set for swimming and for all sorts of fun in the sun. One important thing we need to bear is the scorching heat. Not sure about others, I always need to something to cool down after a trip in the sun. All sorts of lemonades, fruit juices are on the way. To start I wanted to make the Watermelon Granita. It is so good when you place one spoon of the granita in your mouth it just melts makes you feel refreshed. It is simple to make with just 3 simple ingredients.
Though I love watermelon simply cannot handle the seeds. Good that we get seedless variety here. If you do not get the seedless variety try to get it out, I promise it is going to be a good time pass. When I buy the huge watermelon's I want it to be finished fast when it is all fresh. One other reason is it takes too much space in my fridge. The granita has a gorgeous color and has the extra kick from the lime which makes you feel refreshed. Super treat for the summer. Why wait try out the Watermelon Granita which truly shouts out the arrival of Summer !!!
Preparation Time : 15 min
Freezing Time : Overnight
Serves : 8 - 10
Watermelon - 1/2
Lime - 2 no
Sugar - 1/3 cup
- Cut the Watermelon and chop into bite size pieces. I used seedless, if you are using seeded see notes section. I had about 8 cups of watermelon chunks.
- Squeeze the juice from the limes and keep aside.
- Blend the watermelon, lime juice and sugar in a blender until smooth.
- Do it in batches depending on the size of your blender jar
- Pour the mixture into a freezer safe container.
- Freeze for 2 -3 hours.
- Remove from freezer and scrape the frozen top layer with a fork.
- Return to freezer with the scraped ice on top.
- Every 2 -3 hours repeat the scraping process until all of it scraped and looks like fresh snow.
- Store in freezer until serving.
- If you are buying the seeded variety, slighty blend the watermelon chunks in a blender and strain it through a filter to remove the seeds.
- If you are not interested in scraping it now and then, you can freeze it overnight and scrape it thoroughly in the morning.