Sometimes we have certain things that kindles our memories, that too when it is related food it is even more interesting. I promise it is not about mangoes. I know everybody has a cute story about mangoes. This time it is about buttermilk. We as kids used to play in the hot sun all day long and will feel totally tired and dehydrated. This tasty and spicy buttermilk would be served now and then to keep our body cool and refreshed. I used to love this as a kid and continue to do so.
It is just 4 or 5 simple ingredients from the fridge that makes the magic. It can be made in a jiffy and served on a hot day just to bring down the heat. You can also consume lots and lots of it when you are dieting. It makes you feel full and also reduces the body heat. Instead of making it spicy you can just add salt and have it. But I personally prefer the spicy version which with all the different flavors truly tickles your tongue. Do try this super thirst quencher !!!
Serves : 2
Curd/Yogurt - 1 cup
Water - 2 cups
Coriander leaves - handful
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Ginger - 1 small piece
Green Chilly - 1 no
Pepper Corns - 1 tsp
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Salt as needed
- Add the 2 cups of water to the curd/yogurt and mix well and keep the buttermilk aside.
- Crush the pepper corns in a mortar and pestle, else use a peppermill like the one in the pictures.
- Slice the green chillies.
- Grate the ginger.
- Finely chop the coriander leaves and curry leaves.
- Add required salt to the buttermilk.
- Add the grated ginger, green chillies, coriander leaves, curry leaves, asafoetida, crushed pepper to the buttermilk and mix well.
- Serve as is or chilled.
- You just make plain buttermilk by just adding salt and skipping other ingredients.
- The 1:2 ratio of curd to water is perfect. If you want you can add more water to get your desired consistency.
- If preferred remove green chillies before drinking the buttermilk.