Coconut Rice/Thengai Sadam is prepared on special occasions in his place for offering to god. Normally we offer food without onion, garlic to God. As coconut rice has none of this we make it along with payasam and sundal. In my place it is totally opposite we prepare it when my mom wants to finish cooking fast and when my father is out of town. My father does not like these kind of dry rice items. But this is our favorite, I simply love coconut flavor and this is a perfect one.
Last weekend our vegetable basket was empty we did not even have onions. We just had one good coconut. Normally we do not get good fresh coconut here, this time we got a very good one so wanted to make this. To make this rice always use freshly grated coconut. Frozen coconut does not give the exact taste. Thatswhy I never made this rice item in recent times. If you like coconut flavor and have good qaulity coconut in hand do not hesitate to try this super easy and flavorful one pot meal.
Preparation Time - 10 min
Cooking Time - Time to Cook Plain Rice + 10 min
Serves - 4
Freshly Grated Coconut - 1 cup
Rice - 1 cup
Mustard - 1 tsp
Urid Dal(whole, white) - 1 tbsp
Channa Dal - 1 tbsp
Dry Red Chilly - 4 - 5 no
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Cashew - 6 - 8 no
Oil - 1 tbsp or Oil - 1/2 tbsp + Ghee - 1/2 tbsp
Salt - as per taste
- Cook the 1 cup rice with 1 1/2 cup of water.
- When you cook add 2 -3 drops of cooking oil so that the rice does not become sticky.
- Cool down the rice.
- Place all the required ingredients measured and ready before you turn on the stove.
- Break the Cashew nuts into halves.
- Heat oil/ghee in a heavy bottomed Kadai/Wok.
- Add the mustard when oil is hot, when mustard splutters, reduce the flame add the urid dal, followed by the channa dal and fry until golden brown.
- Next add the red chillies, curry leaves, Cashew nut and roast until the cashew turns golden brown.
- Next add the freshly grated coconut and saute for about 5 - 7 minutes.
- Now add the cooked rice and required salt. Mix everything well and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Serve Hot with pappad or any spicy curry.
- Just note how many I have insisted on using freshly grated coconut. Frozen coconut does not give the exact taste.
- Using ghee with oil surely enhances the taste. Use it if you prefer to.
- Do not allow the temper items to be over roasted, it spoils the taste of the rice.
- Adding 2 - 3 drops oil while cooking rice makes the rice cook perfect for dry rice items.