Bread baking is one of my favorite thing which I love to do at any time. Anyone who has tried baking a bread would know what I'm talking about. It is an addiction and you will love each and every time you do it. Be it the yeast activation stage, the rising stage or the final baking stage when your kitchen is filled with the aroma of the freshly baked bread. Every stage has its own thrill. Though it sounds like a lengthy and tedious process it is actually not. You actually do the work for only 20 minutes, rest all is the rising and baking time. The end result makes you feel so good.
My family loves these breads and it has become a weekend routine to bake breads and buns for the week just like grinding dosa batter. Every week I start on Sunday evening and and by the time I finish the sun would be down and I kept on post poning this post. This week made sure I start early and click some pictures. This is a vegan bread and tastes equally good to any other white bread you have tasted. I have done all sort of trials like replacing bread flour with APF, using whole wheat flour, combining two different flours and every time the result was good. Also I wanted to take some stepwise pictures which was my long time wish. Manged to do it for this recipe as it would help some first timers. Why wait go ahead and try this fail proof White Bread recipe !!
Preparation Time : 20 minutes
Total Rising Time : 3 hours
Baking Time: 30 - 35 minutes
Yields : 2 9"x5" loaves
Bread Flour - 6 cups
Sugar - 1/4 cup
Salt -1 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1/4 cup
Active Dry Yeast - 1 1/2 tbsp
Almond Milk - 2 cups
- Place the almond milk in microwave and heat it for less than 1 min until it is warm
- Combine flour and salt and keep aside.
- Combine warm almond milk, sugar and yeast together in a large bowl or in the bowl of your stand mixer with hook attachment.
- Keep aside till it becomes frothy.
- Add oil to frothy yeast mixture and mix well.
- Slowly add the flour and knead while you add.
- Knead the dough for 10 to 15 minutes until it is elastic and firm.
- Place the dough in a slightly oiled bowl and cover it wit a cling wrap and allow it to rise for about 1 hour 30 minutes.
- After the rising time the dough will be doubled in volume.
- Gently punch down the dough and divide it into 2 equal portions. Shape each portion into a loaf or small buns in a floured surface.
- Place the shaped dough in the pan, cover it with a cling wrap and place it in a warm place for about a hour.
- After the second rising time the loaf should have raised atleast 1 1/2 inch above rim of the pan and buns will be doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Bake for about 30 - 35 minutes until crust turns golden brown. If baking rolls bake for only 15 - 20 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for about 10 min and slice after it is completely cooled.
- Serve with jam or any other spread of your choice.
- The almond milk must be only warm. Overheating would kill the yeast.
- Bread flour can be replaced with the All Purpose Flour.
- You can either make 2 loaves or make around 12 buns out of one portion
- If the bread is browning to fast cover it with a loose aluminum foil after first 15 min.
- When the bread is warm brush it with melted butter for a softer crust.
- Store bread in a ziploc cover. Slightly warm the bread for about 10 seconds before serving.