Now I know the difference of raising a girl and a boy. My daughter was so calm and composed (atleast until she was 2) but he is so hyperactive and demanding.He cannot sit in one place for more than a minute and needs to be pampered now and then. As now he has started to crawl, life has become more challenging.I always see MK with the vacuum cleaner as shweets cannot sit in one place and eat. It is very cute when I see him crawling and looking for minute things.My brother inlaw even told that he would have dropped something in his previous birth and he is searching it so seriously now. Last week was super fun as we had family visiting and I took two days off. We had Italian, Chinese, American, Thai food in various top restaurants and ofcourse Indian food From my Home Kitchen !!!
Cooking one pot meals is very convenient when Jake is super active. Arisu Paruppu Sadham is a famous dish from Coimbatore. We used to spend our entire summer holidays at our grandmother's place in coimbatore and used to enjoy all these specialities. This is a homey dish with very mild spices which is suitable for kids and it is a great lunch box recipe too. Must try recipe !!!
Preparation Time : 5 min
Cooking Time: 10 min
Serves : 4
Raw Rice - 1 cup
Toor Dal - 1/2 cup
Garlic cloves - 4 no
Onion - 1 no
Tomato - 1 no
Dry Red Chilly - 3 no
Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
Salt - as needed
Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard - 1 tsp
Cumin - 3/4 tsp
Cinnamon - 1 stick
- Wash and soak the rice and dal together for about 15 minutes.
- Finely chop the onion, garlic and tomato.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add the mustard and allow it to splutter. Add the cumin seeds and cinnamon stick
- Add the chopped garlic and once it turns soft add the onion and cook until it is translucent.
- Add salt, dry red chillies, curry leaves and saute well.
- Add the chopped tomato and cook until it is mushy.
- Add the chilly powder and cook in medium flame until raw smell goes away.
- Drain the rice and dal mixture and transfer it to the pressure and mix everthing together.
- Add 3 1/2 cups of water. Check for salt and pressure cook the rice for 2 whistles in high.
- Serve Hot with pappad or spicy potato fry.
- This rice has to be sticky so I always add 3/4 cup water extra for every 1 1/2 cup of rice and dal mix.