Green Stir Fry/ Keerai Poriyal is one of my favorite side dish. Simply love it with bland sambar or spicy gravies. We always make it a point to use greens atleast two times a week in the form of kuzhambu, kootu or this yummy poriyal. It is said that greens should not be taken in the night as it might create digestion problems. So weekend lunch would be a great time for this stir fry.
Back in India we used to fresh greens as bunches, it would be a time consuming task to remove the leaves from the stem and clean them.Here in the US we get easily usuable packs, just one wash should be enough.Easier the process the more we tend to use it. So just cook , eat and stay healthy !!!!
Greens - 1 pack or 2 bunches
Garlic flakes - 6 nos
Onion - 1 medium size
Red Chilly - 5 nos
Coconut pieces - 3 nos
Oil - 2 tsp
Salt for taste
Mustard - 1/2 tsp
Urid Dal - 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida - a pinch
- Wash and chop the greens into small pieces.
- Crush the garlic flakes.
- Grate the coconut and keep aside.
- Heat oil, add mustard and allow it to splutter.
- Add the urid dal, followed by asafoetida and red chillies in medium flame.
- Add garlic flakes and saute until it turns golden brown.
- Saute until onion turns translucent.
- Add the greens, salt and mix so that the seasoning is well coated onto the greens.
- Allow the greens to cook by occasionally stirring it.
- Once the greens is cooked and dry, add the grated coconut and mix well.
- Serve Warm with any rice item as a side.
- Any type of greens can be used for this stir fry.
- Sprinkle little water if required for greens to cook.
- Make sure the greens are fresh. It surely tastes better