When I think of an Indian summer I will surely get reminded of the home made pickles.I'm a hardcore fan of raw mangoes and would love to have them with little salt and chilly powder.Mango lovers would know what I'm talking about. When we buy raw mangoes from the Indian stores we just finish them in a jiffy and would never think of preparing anything with it. This week we made up our mind to make some spicy, tangy pickle to relish with our curd rice. Curd rice and Mango pickle is a heavenly combo mostly noone could say a no.
We thought of making the pickle slightly different from the usual style. The outcome was too good to resist.This is one dish that has been in my "Coming Soon" tab for about 5 months and finally I made it. Homemade pickles are always better than the store bought ones, as we have control over the addition of oil and ofcourse it is preservative free. My mom would always insist on drinking a lot milk while eating mangoes as it will reduce the heat in or body. Anything within limits is not bad so why wait. Cook, Eat and Enjoy !!!
Raw Mango (Large) - 1 no
Garlic Flakes - 4 no
Onion (medium size) - 1
Tomato (medium size) - 1
Red Chilly - 4 no
Chilly Powder - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Mustard - 1 tsp
Gingely Oil - 2 tsp
Salt as per taste
- Wash and pat dry the mango. Cut it into medium size pieces.
- Grind the red chillies into a coarse powder.
- Cut the onion and tomato into fine pieces.
- Cut the garlic into thin slices.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard to it. Allow it to splutter.
- Add the sliced garlic in low flame and saute until it is golden brown.
- Add the onion and saute until they turn translucent.
- Add the tomato and saute until they turn mushy.
- At this stage add the chilly powder, turmeric powder, ground red chilly powder and salt.
- In medium flame saute the ingredients and cook until oil oozes out.
- Add the mango pieces and mix them well so that the masala is well coated onto the mangoes.
- After about 1 min turn off the heat.
- When cooled down transfer to a bottle and refrigerate.
- Adjust the spice level according to your taste.
- If used carefully, using a dry spoon etc the pickle can be stored for 1 month or so.
- Do not cook for a long period after adding the mangoes.