Back in India I used to celebrate all the festivals with full enthusiasm and would never miss any. But lately all enthusiasm went down and now back in form. Shweets is big enough to understand everything and helped me to decorate for the Pooja. It is very important for us to pass the tradition to the next generation. When she was decorating she said "God already so many ladoo why did you make some more" she was referring to the ladoo in the photos. I tried to explain to her all our rituals and she was quite convinced. The interest she showed towards festivals made me realize I should never miss any !!!
Besan Ladoo is one of the quickest and suitable sweet for Krishna Jayanthi which I could think of. I'm a big fan of sweets made out of jaggery and wanted to make the vella sedai but due to time crunch I prepared our favorite ladoo. Usually we fry the besan flour in low flame for about half hour until it turns light brown and then it needs to be cooled for another half hour. I just thought of using microwave and googled "microwave besan ladoo" search engine returned lot of sites. Then I told myself yes it is possible and used my proportions to make the ladoo. It was too good and I could save only a few for the clicks !!
Besan Flour - 1 cup
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
Ghee - 5 - 6 tbsp
Cashew - 10 - 15 no
- Powder the sugar in a mixer until it turns into a very fine powder.
- Fry the cashew in 1/2 tsp ghee until it turns golden brown.
- In a microwave safe bowl mix the ghee and besan flour and microwave in high for about 5 min.
- Stir the contents after every minute, scraping the bottom.
- After 5 minutes the mixture should have turned light brown and crumbly.
- Allow it to cool completely for about half hour.
- Add the powderered sugar, cardamom powder to the cooled besan mixture and mix well.
- Apply very little ghee onto to your hands and shape the mixture into small balls.
- Place a cashew on top when you are making the balls.
- Quick and Easy besan ladoo is ready to be served.
- Microwave for additional 2 minutes if your mixture is not light brown.
- Add little hot ghee to the mixture if it is too dry and it is not holding on.
- Refrigerate the ladoo for about half hour so that it will set well.