Normally I buy Soya Chunks to add them in vegetable briyani but totally forget about the chunks when I make the briyani. After a enjoyable weekend at the mighty Niagara we did not have any vegetable, suitable to make curry for our dinner. Got reminded of the chunks and prepared this spicy Soya Chunks Masala and served it with Naan. Try and Enjoy !!
Sending this Spicy Soya Chunk Masala to Healing Foods - Onion event guest hosted by Priya started by Siri and to Think Spice - Think Garam Masala event at Sara's Corner started by Sunitha.
Soya Chunks - 1 1/2 cup
Onion - 2 no
Tomato - 2 no
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Chilly Powder - 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/4 tsp
Coconut milk - 1/2 cup
Cashew nut - 5 no (optional)
Salt for taste
Oil - 3 tsp
Pepper Corns - 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Red Chilly - 4 no
Grated Coconut - 2 tbsp
Cinnamon - 2 no
Cardamom - 2 no
Fennel - 1/2 tsp
- Boil 2 cups water with little salt and drop the soya chunks. Cook in medium flame until it becomes double in size.
- Drain the water and chop the chunks into small pieces.
- Dry roast pepper, cumin, red chilly and grind it to coarse paste along with grated coconut.
- Heat oil, add cinnamon, cardamom and fennel one after the other in medium flame.
- Add finely chopped onion and curry leaves and saute well.
- Add ginger garlic paste in low flame and cook until its raw smell is gone.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and cook until it is mushy.
- Add turmeric powder, chilly powder, garam masala, ground paste, salt and mix well. Cook until oil separates.
- Mix the soya chunks until the masala is well coated on the chunks, add little water and cook for about 5 min .
- Add the coconut milk,cashews cook and for additional 5 min or until oil separates.Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves and Serve Hot.