After a wonderful 4 day vacation at Niagara here I'm with a recipe from my draft...I don't even remember the last time I had Ridge Gourd.May be I would have had it during my college days.I did not know any special recipe with it and stuck to snake gourd and pumpkins for kootu. So always ignored this vegetable. When I saw this gravy recipe in Rak's Kitchen surely wanted to give it a try. So I just grabbed one when I had been to the Indian stores and tried this one.
I have a guest from India and when MK saw me making this gravy he was not sure how it is going to taste. I prepared it, took some pics and left for refreshing.When I came back I had only 2 spoonfuls. So you can imagine how it would have tasted. From my side I just added some grated coconut to the gravy otherwise followed it exactly. It was awesome with a little ghee and quite different from the gravies I make. Thanks to Raji !!!!!
Ridge Gourd - 1 no
Onion - 2 nos
Green Chilly - 4 no
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Tamarind - Gooseberry size
Grated Coconut - 3 tsp
Mustard - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
Urid Dal - 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida - a pinch
Salt for taste
Oil - 2 tsps
- Wash and peel the sharp edges and cut the ridge gourd into medium size pieces.
- Pressure cook the veggie by adding 2-3 tbsp of water.
- Grind it to a smooth paste.
- Extract juice from the tamarind and keep aside.
- Heat oil, add mustard, urid dal, asafoetida, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves one after the other in medium flame.
- Chop the onion into chunks and add it to the seasoning.
- Add the green chillies and saute well until onion turns translucent.
- Add the tamarind juice, salt , turmeric powder and allow it to boil in closed state for about 3-4 min.
- Add the ground ridge gourd paste , mix well and boil for additional 4 min.
- Add grated coconut and Serve warm with rice and ghee.