My Mom makes a variety of rasam recipes for our lunch.Somehow I stick to the Tomato Rasam and just to break that trend I had prepared Paruppu Rasam which is slightly similar to it. It goes well with rice and pappad.It makes our job easy on lazy days.
My friends surprisingly ask me about the addition of onions in rasam. We add it at our place and I simply love its taste with onion. I'm sending it to Healing Foods - Onion event guest hosted by Priya and started by Siri.
Toor Dal - 1/2 cup
Onion - 1/4
Tomato - 2 no
Garlic Cloves - 5
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Pepper Corns - 1/4 tsp
Salt for taste
Mustard - 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida - one pinch
Crushed onion and Garlic - 1 tsp
Rasam Powder - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
- Pressure cook toor dal, onion, tomato, garlic, turmeric powder, curry leaves, coriander leaves, salt, cumin seeds,pepper corns with 1 cup water for 2 whistles.
- Once the pressure is released smash the dal and add little water if required to get to rasam consistency.
- Heat oil, add the items mentioned under tadka one after other in medium flame.
- When the raw smell from onion and garlic is gone add the rasam powder saute for 1 minute in low flame.
- Then add the cooked dal mixture.
- Boil in medium flame until you see bubbles. Do not over boil rasam might lose its taste.
- Serve Hot with rice.