Mango Rice has become a big hit in my family. This is one of the recipe I wrote it down from my Mom long time ago. Planning to prepare this dish I would buy 2 or 3 mangoes every time I go to the Indian stores. But we will end up eating them raw with salt and chilly powder.Still I feel the sour taste in my mouth. Back in India whenever I go to Nalli (Silk House in Chennai) first my eyes onto the mango slices being sold outside the shop. MK would scold me for eating on the road..but I never used to listen. During our last vacation, MK also joined the club and we were roaming thorough out T.NAGAR with the Mango slices in our hands :-)
Coming to the recipe it is similar to our good old lemon rice but addition of mango adds more taste. Shweets started to love this a lot. Whenever I ask what she wants to eat..she says "MANGO RICE" be it breakfast, lunch or Dinner time. Surely kids will like it.Try and Enjoy !!!!
Cooked Rice - 2 cups
Grated Mango - 1 cup
Grated ginger - 1/4 tsp
Mustard - 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Channa Dal - 1 tsp
Urid Dal – 1 tsp
Dry Red Chilly - 4 no
Peanuts - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder -1/4 tsp
Salt for taste
Oil - 2 tsp
- Cook the rice with 1/4 tsp oil so that rice is not sticky.
- Heat oil, add mustard and allow it to splutter in medium flame.
- Add asafoetida, channa dal, urid dal, peanuts, curry leaves, grated ginger and red chillies one after the other in medium flame.
- Add the turmeric powder, grated mango, salt and mix well.
- Cook the mixture for 3-4 min.
- Add the mixture to the cooked rice and mix well.
- Serve Hot with pappad or chips.