When I think of Authentic Chettinad dishes, I just go to the one and only Solai Aunty's True Chettinad Kitchen for it. I have prepared another Chettinad Chicken Gravy..but it was my style. I was planning to try this recipe for a long time. As Sunday afternoon is reserved for spicy non veg dishes I prepared this gravy and it was an instant hit.As the recipe was from a experienced cook, did not want to do any changes just followed the recipe.It's surely a must try recipe.Never miss it when you have the time !!!!
For the kuzhambu milagai thool mentioned in the marination section, I had used Aachi brand thool which is good and has good flavor.
Chicken - 1 lb
Pearl Onions - 30 no
Tomato - 2 no
Garlic pods - 15 no
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt for taste
Oil - 3 tsp
Ginger Garlic - 1 tsp
Kuzhambu Milagai thool - 1 tsp
Salt - little
Curd - 1 tsp
For Grind 1
Ginger - 1 piece
Garlic - 10 pods
Pearl Onion - 10 no
Green Chilly - 2 no
Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 2 tsp
For Grind 2
Grated coconut - 5 tbsp
Cashew nuts - 6 no
Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
Cinnamon - 2 no
Fennel Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Clove - 2 no
Cardamom - 2 no
Bay leaf - 2 no
- Wash and cut chicken to medium size pieces.
- Marinate the chicken with the ingredients mentioned under marination for about 1 hour.
- Grind the ingredients mentioned in grind 1 and grind 2 into separate paste and keep aside.
- Heat kadai, add oil and add items given under seasoning one after other in medium flame.
- Add chopped pearl onions followed by crushed garlic and saute until it onion turns translucent.
- Add curry leaves followed by tomatoes,salt,turmeric powder and saute well until oil separates.
- Add ground masala 1 and saute well until raw smell is gone.
- Sprinkle little water to the masala so that it is cooked well.
- Add chicken and mix well. Roast the chicken in the masala for few minutes in medium flame.
- Add little water and allow it to cook in a closed state for 10 minutes.
- Add ground paste 2 and allow it to cook for 5 - 7 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with hot rice/rotis.