Totally exhausted after attending 4 parties in 3 days.For the past 1 month I had spent most of my free time googling about party themes, cakes etc., and I'm extremely relieved that the parties turned out great. Though I did some cooking this weekend nothing was special so I'm posting one of my favorite kootu recipe from the drafts.
Earlier I never liked this veggie. I would ask my Mom to make something else for me if she was planning to cook yellow pumpkin.After coming here, MK prepared this kootu once and as I do not have the luxury of being choosy.. hmmmm If I say no then I need to cook something for myself :-) and moreover I'm a person who cannot survive without side dish for rice ..So I ate it. I must admit it was extremely good.
This kootu goes well with Sambar and Rasam rice. Yellow pumpkin is at its best when it is cooked the same day it is bought. This kootu makes its way to Suma's Delicious Dals of India event
Yellow Pumpkin - 1/2 lb
Channa Dal - 1 cup
Onion - 1 no
Tomato - 1 no
Garlic Cloves - 4 no
Grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
Mustard - 1 tsp
Salt for taste
Oil - 2 tsp
- Wash, peel and dice the yellow pumpkin to medium size pieces.
- Pressure cook the channa dal for 1 whistle.It should not be overcooked.
- Heat oil, add mustard in medium flame.
- Add onion, crushed garlic and curry leaves and saute until onion turns translucent.
- Next add tomato and until it turns mushy.
- Then add turmeric powder, chilly powder, salt, sprinkle some water and cook in medium flame.
- Add the vegetable, 1 cup water and cook until the vegetable is 1/2 cooked.
- At this stage add the cooked dal.Add extra water if required for maintaining kootu consistency.
- Once the vegetable is fully cooked add grated coconut and mix well. The mixture needs to semiliquid-ish.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with any rice item.