Venn Pongal is the one of the most common breakfast in Southern India. At our place we normally make this dish for Friday Mornings.This is also prepared as a prasadham (offering) to god during festivals. It is kind of heavy because of the ghee.If you are planning to have it along with vada then plan this for weekend breakfasts..because this one makes you feel sleepy :-) atleast it makes me.
This is a simple recipe but never tastes the same at all places. I have just the version I follow.It can be served with Coconut Chutney or Sambar. Having Vada with it would be a great combo !!!!
Venn Pongal is sent to Cooking with Seeds - Cumin event hosted at Sara's Corner started by Priya.
Raw Rice - 1 cup
Yellow Moong Dal - 1/2 cup
Salt for taste
Ghee - 3 tsp
Pepper Corns - 10 no
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Cashew - 10 no
Grated Ginger - 1/2 tsp
- Wash the rice ,dal and pressure cook along with salt, 1/2 tsp ghee for 4 whistles.
- Smash the rice with a spatula if it is not mushy.
- Heat ghee, add cumin seeds, pepper corns.
- When it splutters, add the grated ginger, chopped curry leaves,cashew in medium flame.
- When the cashew turns golden color add the seasoning to the cooked rice and dal mixture.
- Mix well and Serve Hot.
Normally when we cook rice, water ratio would be 1:2 but for pongal we need to add a extra cup. for ex: for 1 1/2 cup I added 4 cups water.