This is one recipe which stayed in my draft for a long time. Every time I go the Indian Stores I will get reminded that I need to cook this recipe and will get the vegetable. But somehow will not get to it and would end up trashing it :-(. This time decided to cook it the day I got it. It is one of our favorite recipe and it is great with just the white rice.
Podalangai or Snake gourd kootu or Pudalangai Kootu is a vegetarian side dish from the Southern part of India. Vegetable is cooked with the split moong dal and seasoned with Indian Spices.This side dish is a must in vegetarian feasts. Good choice for our Tamil New Year Lunch !!! Try and Enjoy..
Snake guard - 1/2 lb
Yellow moong dal - 1/2 cup
Onion - 1 no
Tomato - 1 no
Garlic - 5 no
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Green Chilly - 2 no
Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - for taste
Oil - 2 tsp
- Wash and peel the outer thin layer of the snake gourd.
- Cut it into small pieces after removing the seeds in the center.
- Add snake guard,yellow moong dal,onion,tomato,garlic,turmeric powder,salt and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Grind green chilly,grated coconut,cumin seeds into a coarse paste.
- Heat oil splutter mustard, add finely chopped onions, curry leaves. Saute until onion turns translucent
- Add contents from cooker and allow it to cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add the ground mixture and mix well and cook for additional 5 mins in medium low heat. Make sure the mixture is semi-liquidish.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice.