Sepankizhangu Fry is a spicy side dish and this one cannot be missed.I would have had it only very few times before marriage.In my inlaws place it was a must.At least once in a week.Slowly I started to become a fan of this dish.We never deep fry it.just add little oil and cook it in medium flame. Hence we are good on health benefits too.When you select this vegetable look for the ones in brown color with hairy roots and firm. The ones that are too big are not tasty.One other point is do not cook the roots in pressure cooker.It will get mashed when you fry it.
This is a vegetarian side dish made out of Colocasia fried with onions. It goes on well with Sambar, Rasam, Keerai Kuzhambu etc.,
Sepankizhangu - 1/2 lb
Onion - 1 no
Chilly Powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder - 1/4 tsp
Rice flour - 2 tsp
Salt for taste
Oil - 4 tsp
Mustard - 1/2 tsp
Urid Dhal - 1 tsp
- Wash and boil the roots for about 10 minutes.
- Chop onions lengthwise.
- When it is warm peel the outer layer and cut the roots into slightly thin discs.
- Add chilly powder, turmeric powder,rice flour, salt and marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil, splutter mustard, add urid dal, curry leaves in medium flame.
- Add the onion and saute until it turns translucent.
- Add the root mixture and saute well.
- Sprinkle little water and allow the vegetable cook in medium flame.
- Once the vegetable is 3/4 cooked dry the vegetable.
- It should turn slightly blackish and slightly crispy.
- Serve Hot with rice items.