Paneer Butter Masala is one recipe everyone loves to try when they are in a North Indian Restaurant.It is great with rotis and naan. One of our favorites and most suitable for parties.Paneer can be replaced with the healthier version TOFU.But no doubt paneer is more tastier.I prepared this for dinner and was not able to take a good pic because of time crunch.Already we had crossed our dinner time and did not want to delay any further.The recipe will sound slightly tedious but worth the effort.Try out and Enjoy !!!!
This one is a tasty North Indian Vegetarian Gravy.Its main ingredient Paneer is a fresh cheese common in South Asian cuisine. It is an unaged, acid-set,non-melting farmer cheese made by curdling heated milk with lemon juice or other food acid (source :wiki).
Paneer Cubes - 2 cups
Onion - 2 nos
Tomato - 2 nos
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
Chilly Powder -1 tsp
Coriander Powder -1 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Kasoori Methi Leaves - 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon - 1 no
Cardamom - 2 no
Turmeric Powder - 1 pinch
Clove - 1 no
Bay leaves - 2 no
Red food Color - 1 pinch (optional)
Cashew paste - 2 tsp
Milk - 1/2 cup
Ghee - 1 1/2 tsp
Butter - 3 tsp
Salt for taste
- Finely chop the onions. Heat 1/2 ghee saute them for 2 minutes and grind it to paste.
- Puree the tomatoes to a paste.
- Heat 1 tsp ghee and saute the paneer cubes until they golden brown in medium flame.
- Soak the sauteed panner in 1 cup hot water with little salt and turmeric powder for about 10 minutes.
- Heat 2 tsp butter, add the cinnamon, clove and cardamom and bay leaves in medium flame.
- Add the pureed onions and saute until it turns golden brown.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and cook until raw smell is gone.
- Add the pureed tomatoes and saute well.
- Add the chilly powder, coriander powder, garam masala, kasoori methi leaves, salt and mix well.
- Mix the food color in drops of water and add it to the gravy and allow it to cook until oil separates.
- Add the paneer cubes, cashew paste, 1/2 cup water (gravy needs to be thick) and cook for 5 min.
- Add the milk and cook in low flame for 2 minutes. Turn off the stove add the remaining butter, If you want you can add fresh cream at this stage.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and Serve Hot.