Vegetable Uttapam it is a very healthy dish as a lot of vegetables are added to it. It can be had with sambar or chutney. It is a ideal breakfast or dinner recipe. After having oats, cereals and toasts during weekdays we really crave for some sumptuous breakfasts on weekends. Moreover we need use all of the vegetables bought in for that week before stocking up again:-)This vegetarian breakfast is similar to the pancakes with lot of vegetables, onions, tomatoes.
Ingredients for batter
Raw rice - 2 cups
Urid Dal - 3/4 cup
Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
Salt for taste
Ingredients for Uttapam
Carrot - 2 no
Cabbage - 1 cup
Beans - 10 no
Peas - 1/4 cup
Onion - 2 no
Tomato - 1 no
Ginger - 1 piece
Green Chilly - 2 no
Chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
- Soak the rice for 5 hours and urid dal and fenugreek for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Grind the soaked urid dal in a mixer grinder until it is smooth. Pour the batter into a large vessel. Then grind the rice, make sure it is slightly coarse. Pour the ground rice batter into the same vessel.
- Add required amount of salt and mix both rice and urid dal batter together, and allow the batter for overnight fermentation.
- Finely chop the beans, onions tomatoes, green chilly, ginger, coriander leaves and grate carrot and cabbage.
- Cook the beans and peas for about 4 minutes in microwave.
- Take required amount of the fermented batter and add all chopped vegetables into the batter leaving little of carrot, cabbage, beans for sprinkling on top of the uttapam.
- Add chilly powder to the batter and mix well.
- On a dosa kallu or non stick flat pan, pour the batter and spread it into a thick circle. Pour little oil in the sides, sprinkle the remaining carrot,beans, cabbage mix on the uttapam and cook in medium flame.
- Once one side of the uttapam in cooked, flip it to the other side and cook for 1 min.
- Serve Hot with Chutney/Sambar.
- The batter needs to be prepared the day before and be fermented.
- You can store the remaining batter in refrigerator and use up to 3 - 4 days and mix vegetables when needed.
- All kinds of Chutney and Sambar goes well with the Uttapam.