Kadalai Curry is a wonderful side dish for Appam, Pathiri , Dosa etc., One of my favorite childhood dish.. My Sister used to cook this so well and always get reminded of her when I make this. We always liked to cook and came forward to help our Mom during school days.Once into college the whole thing changed.We were so busy (????) and she used to first request, then scold and what not. Finally would enter the kitchen murmuring.All those cooking routine is helping us a lot,easy to manage here and giving cooking tips to others..hehehehehehe..Thanks Mom for taking all those effort to make us learn to cook !!!
Black Channa is one of the highly nutritious legume. It is a good source of protein and dietary fiber. It is good to soak these overnight and have them along with breakfast..This was passed onto to me by my Mom. Black Channa Gravy is a vegetarian side dish made out of chick peas , onion , tomato etc.,
Black Channa - 2 cups
Onion - 1 no
Tomato - 1 no
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
Mustard - 1/2 tsp
Fennel Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 1/2 tsp
Garam masala - 1/4 tsp
Coconut paste - 4 tsps
Salt for taste
Oil - 4 tsp
- Soak the black channa for 6 hours and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Finely chop the onion, tomato.
- Take a 1/2 cup of the cooked black channa and grind it to a paste.
- Heat oil add mustard, fennel seeds in medium flame.
- Add onions and curry leaves saute well.
- When onion is translucent, add the ginger garlic paste followed by the tomato.
- Once the raw smell is gone and oil separates add chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and saute well.
- Sprinkle water and allow the mixture to cook.
- When raw smell is gone add the black channa paste paste and saute well.
- Add remaining channa, add water until desired consistency(gravy needs to be slightly thick)and cook in a closed state until oil separates.
- Add the coconut paste and boil for another 5 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander and curry leaves and Serve hot.