Prawn Gravy or Eral Kuzhambu is another Mother in Law special recipe.It was a Wednesday recipe meaning normally we used to prepare seafood on wednesday'. We would have fish, prawns, crab and what not each of us like one stuff and she will prepare everything at one shot, missing those days. It is a simple and easy South Indian recipe which goes very good with rice. You can also use shrimp instead of the prawns. Do try and let me know how our family recipe worked for you.
Prawns - 1 lb or 1/2 kg
Onion - 2 no
Tomato - 2 no
Ginger Garlic Paste - 3 tsp
Chilly Powder - 1 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder - 2 tsp
Tamarind - lemon size
Vegetable - 1/2 lb
Mustard - 1/2 tsp
Coconut pieces - 3 tbsp
Salt - for taste
Oil - 3 tsp
- Finely chop onions and tomatoes.
- Wash and devein the prawns.
- Soak the tamarind for 15 minutes and extract juice or add the tamarind in 1 cup of water and microwave for 1 minute.
- Chop the vegetable into medium size pieces.
- Grind the coconut pieces with little water into a thick paste.
- Heat oil in a kadai,add mustard and allow it to splutter.
- Add onion, curry leaves and saute until the onion turns soft.
- Next add the prawns and saute well for about 5 minutes until they turn white-ish.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and saute well until the raw smell goes.
- Then add the tomatoes and cook until they turn soft.
- Add the vegetable and saute well.
- Add chilly powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, salt and cook well in medium flame until oil separates.
- Sprinkle come water if the paste is very dry, add tamarind paste, water and allow it to boil in a closed until raw smell goes away say about 12 - 15 minutes.
- Next add coconut paste, close it with a lid allow it to boil for additional 5 minutes in medium flame.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with rice.
- Vegetables Like Broad Beans or Potato or Eggplant will be best suited for this gravy. My preference would be Broad Beans.
- Cooking the prawns prior to adding the masala powder is very important to remove the raw smell.